While some people can only fall asleep in a room that is completely quiet, other people need a little bit of light or noise. Watching a movie before bed can help you sleep if you fall into the second category. The key is to choose the right movie. Your odds of falling asleep during a fast-paced action film with lots of flashing lights and loud noises are pretty slim. A quiet, slow-paced drama with soft speaking and beautiful music, on the other hand, can go a long way toward helping you sleep.
You may need to try several different types of movies before you find out what works best for helping you sleep. To get you started, we have compiled a list of five of the best movies to help you fall asleep before bed. Give all of these a try to see which ones you like the most.
- Blade Runner. Created in 1982, Blade Runner is a sci-fi classic. Even though science fiction may not seem like the best genre for putting you to sleep, this movie is one of the top choices for bedtime for a lot of people. Most of the scenes in the movie are quite dark, meaning that you don’t have to worry about a lot of bright lights keeping you awake. Perhaps more importantly, it also has a soothing soundtrack that tends to put people to sleep.
- Uncle Buck. This classic comedy is another favorite for people who like to watch movies when falling asleep. The lighthearted dialogue does a great job of keeping you from focusing on anything too serious before bed. Additionally, if you are like most people, you probably have seen the movie at least a handful of times. That means that you are less likely to get caught up in the storyline. Putting it on in the background can help lighten your mood and relieve stress, making it easier to sleep.
- This movie, which came out in 2009, is an excellent movie for falling asleep. Not only does it have a great soundtrack but the light level throughout the movie is relatively low, preventing any bright lights from making it harder to sleep. Most of the movie consists of quiet dialogue with very few volume changes, minimizing the chance of disruptions occurring. Any type of space movie like this is usually a pretty safe bet.
- The Godfather. This famous film has a lot to offer. Not only does it have an amazing storyline but it also has excellent acting. With everything that it has going for it, you would think that it would be a hard movie to sleep through. As it turns out, however, many people naturally drift off to sleep while this movie is on. Unlike today’s movies which focus mostly on action, this classic film features a lot of dialogue. Even though there are interesting things happening throughout the movie, the quiet talking is perfect for falling asleep to. This is especially true if you have seen it before. Since you already know what will happen next, you don’t need to lay awake wondering, making it ideal for putting you to sleep.
- Ironically, this movie, which is about dreams, is actually excellent at promoting sleep. This is another movie that features an interesting storyline. On top of that, it also has amazing effects. Even though it seems like it would be quite enthralling, there is something about it that people find calming. If you haven’t ever seen it before, try watching it all the way through at least one time before you use it as a sleep aid. That way, you already know what happens, meaning that it is less likely to keep you awake. You can then try putting it on to see whether or not it helps you sleep.
These five movies are some of the best for helping you fall asleep. Try putting them on before bed to see if they make it easier to get some shuteye. Consider setting a sleep timer, as well, so that your TV will automatically shut off after a certain amount of time. That way, you don’t have to worry about any loud noises or action scenes later in the movie waking you up.